Tuesday, May 5, 2009

Cinco de Mayo- Ceviche Style

I freaking love ceviche! I love it! I get so frustrated when I see it on menus though because its so expensive for so little! I always want to order it because it sounds so good you know its not enough for a meal and you also know that its about times more expensive than everyone else's appetizer. So making it at home is the best solution. I bought all of the ingredients for under $30 and Eugene and I had enough ceviche to last us days. I mean days, seriously.

I followed the same recipe that I got from the cooking class at ICE. Only this time I actually let it marinate over night...

Ingredients:

  • 1 lb of small shrimp, deveined
  • 1 lb of bay scallops (or any type of scallops, just cut them into bite size pieces)
  • Juice of 6 to 8 limes
  • 6 to 8 stems of fresh thyme
  • 1/2 cup finlet chopped red onion
  • 2 garlic cloves, minced
  • 1 green or red bell pepper, finely chopped
  • 1 tsp chopped parsley
  • 1/4 cup of extra virgin olive oil
  • 2 plum tomatoes, seeded and diced
  • Fresh cilantro sprigs for garnish
How to:
  1. Cut shrimp, if necessary, into pieces the same size as the scallops. Place shrimp and scallops in glass bowl
  2. Combine the lime juice, thyme, red onion, garlic, and bell pepper. Add to the shrimp and scallops. Stir to combine well. Cover the bowl tightly with plastic wrap, and refrigerate for 6 to 8 hours (or no more than over night)**
  3. Turn the ceviche a few times during the marination period
  4. To serve, add parsley, olive oil, and diced tomatoes and mix to combine. Transfer to a serving dish with a slotted spoon and garnish with fresh cilantro sprigs
** If you cannot let the shrimp/scallops marinate overnight flash cook them for 30-45seconds and remove into ice water.

I like to serve ceviche with either corn chips or plain lightly salted popcorn to add a little crunch.

No comments:

Post a Comment