Thursday, April 30, 2009

A bush grows in Chelsea

Yesterday I spent the morning in the prep kitchen at God's Love and then to Trader Joe's. On the way home, I stopped in the Union Square Green Market and took a look at some fresh herbs.

I made the mistake of buying the first ones I came across. If I had been a little more patient and a little less tired from carrying my groceries, I would have stumbled upon some great herb gardens for window sills. They had window sill gardens in pretty pots with 4-6 herbs for $20-$30. Instead I came home with these two small potted plants ($6 for both, good deal just not as pretty)- rosemary and English thyme. The rosemary I have used twice since purchasing yesterday afternoon, the thyme will come in handy when I make chicken parm tonight. I have been debating growing herbs on my window sill for some time now. Primarily b/c I always waste about 90% of the fresh herbs I buy- they are sold in bulk. Herbs really don't keep that long in the fridge. One great way to make them last, aside from growing them of course :), is to mince them, measure them into teaspoon servings, and place them into an ice tray with a little bit of water. So the next time you need a little rosemary or oregano, all you have to do is drop the allotted amount of ice cubes needed into the pot and voilĂ  fresh herbs. (Don't forget to account for the additional water being added to the recipe from the ice melting).

I also have some tomato seeds I would like to plant, so I think I might go to a hardware store and buy a larger pot so I can expand my NYC "garden."

1 comment:

  1. Lovin' the herb freezing trick! I've never heard that one. By the way, I saw the back of your head on tv the other day and you have beautiful hair. :)

    ReplyDelete